EXTRAORDINARY MINISTER OF THE EUCHARIST CHECKLIST
First, thank you for your dedicated ministry to our Eucharistic Lord. Your ministry to bring Jesus to others enhances the lives of our brothers and sisters in faith. Please prepare for your ministry by spending some time in prayer before the beginning of Mass
- Five metal chalices
- Usually 1 large silver, 3 small silver and 1 gold
- Five purificators
- Placed on the credence table
- 4 patens; 1 ciborium
- 1 large silver, 3 small silver, tall gold (ciborium)
- 1 cruet of water
- Bowl and hand towel
- Please make sure there is a corporal on the Missal
- Go to the sacristy and check in on the sheet next to your name. Please request a substitute if you are unable to serve. The first person on the list is responsible for the set up for the liturgy
- Prepare the credence table
- Prepare bread and wine for Communion
- The amount of hosts is on the door of the closet where the vessels are
- Bring large paten and pitcher to the back of church
- Amount of wine: 2 cups usually
- Check the ciborium in the tabernacle. If it appears that there is a lot of the reserved Sacrament, talk with Fr Tom or Deacon Al about how much should beput out to be consecrated. Even though the ideal is to consecrate only what we need for that Mass, sometimes we have to use the reserved Sacrament. This is the exception, not the norm.
- Bring container of extra hosts and counter to the entrance of the church and place on the balcony stairs.
- Tabernacle key is placed before the tabernacle.
- During the Liturgy of the Word (if you are the counter, a good time to the back would be during during the Gospel procession), go to the choir loft to count the number of people in church, record it on the clip board. It is important to write the number for our records. Adjust the number of hosts in the paten up or down.
- After the Sign of Peace, all EM’s should come to the altar, clean hands and be in position to receive communion
- EM #8 and #9 receive before the other minsters and proceed to the choir loft for the choir. Please be aware of anyone who cannot walk to the front of church for Holy Communion
- If there is no deacon, once you have received the Precious Blood please offer the Cup to the ministers next to you
- After Holy Communion, return the patens and chalices to the credence table. Consume any Precious Blood that remains (or have someone else do it). Return to your seats unless the Blessed Sacrament is being returned to the tabernacle at the time.
- Bring plastic container of hosts from balcony stairs back to sacristy and put in cabinet.
- Bring vessels back into sacristy and rinse in sacrarium( special sink in the sacristy) (unless already done) and wash with soap and water in the other sink. Dry and return to cabinet. Make sure tabernacle key is in the cupboard.
- Place wet towels on hooks near refrigerator.
Few extra items
- If you drop the Host, don’t panic. Pick it up and put it under the paten and consume it at the end of Communion.
- If the Precious Blood spills, don’t panic. Put a purification over it, direct people away from that spot, and continue distributing Holy Communion. After Mass is over, we will rinse the spot out and blot up any Precious Blood that may remain. The purification is then rinsed in the sacrarium (special sink in the sacristy).
Revised 3 / 2019